Whats the best way to clean wooden floors?
Hardwood floors are a beautiful and durable option for any home, but they also require proper care and maintenance to keep them looking their best. In this blog post, we will share some tips on how to clean hardwood floors effectively and safely, without damaging the wood or the finish.
The first step to cleaning hardwood floors is to remove any loose dirt, dust, or debris that may scratch the surface. You can use a broom, a vacuum cleaner with a soft-bristle attachment, or a microfiber dust mop to sweep or vacuum the floor. Avoid using a vacuum cleaner with a beater bar or a rotating brush, as they can damage the wood.
Next, you need to choose a suitable cleaner for your hardwood floor. There are many products available on the market, but not all of them are safe or effective for hardwood floors. Some cleaners may contain harsh chemicals, acids, or alkalis that can strip the finish, discolour the wood, or cause it to swell. You should always follow the manufacturer’s instructions and recommendations for your specific type of hardwood floor. If you are not sure what kind of cleaner to use, you can make your own natural solution by mixing one part white vinegar and one part water in a spray bottle.
To clean the floor, spray a small amount of the cleaner onto a microfiber cloth or mop and wipe the floor in sections, following the direction of the wood grain. Do not spray the cleaner directly onto the floor, as this can cause too much moisture to seep into the wood and cause damage. Also, do not use too much cleaner or water, as this can leave streaks or residue on the floor. You should only dampen the cloth or mop slightly and wring out any excess liquid before wiping the floor.
After cleaning each section of the floor, dry it with a clean cloth or towel to remove any moisture. This will prevent water spots and mould growth on the floor. You should also avoid walking on the floor until it is completely dry.
To maintain your hardwood floor’s shine and beauty, you should clean it regularly, depending on how much traffic it receives. You should also protect it from scratches and stains by using furniture pads, area rugs, mats, and runners. You should also avoid wearing shoes with heels or spikes on the floor, as they can dent or gouge the wood.
Here are some additional tips for cleaning hardwood floors:
- Use a mild, non-abrasive cleaner. Avoid using harsh chemicals or cleaners that contain ammonia, bleach, or citrus oils. These can damage the finish of your floors.
- Don’t overwet the floor. Too much water can warp or damage the wood.
- Dry the floor completely after cleaning. Standing water can also damage the wood.
- If you have pets, be sure to sweep or vacuum up pet hair regularly. Pet hair can scratch the floor and harbour bacteria.
- Wax your floors regularly to protect them from scratches and wear.
Here are some common mistakes to avoid when cleaning hardwood floors:
- Using too much cleaner. This can leave a residue on the floor and make it slippery.
- Using harsh chemicals. These can damage the finish of your floors.
- Overwetting the floor. This can warp or damage the wood.
- Not drying the floor completely. Standing water can damage the wood.
- Using a dirty mop. This can spread dirt and grime around the floor.
By following these simple steps, you can keep your hardwood floors clean and beautiful for years to come.
Free Wooden Floor Sanding Quote
If you are interested in having your wooden floors sanded or refinished then give us a call today. We can give advice or a quote for your floorboards.